Diving for the Younger Generation
Are you keen to get your little ones active? Are they real-life water babies? Do you want them to be able to join you on dive trips? Did you know that learning to scuba dive not only teaches diving skills but also builds confidence and a sense of responsibility? If your kids are interested in scuba diving, we highly recommend it!
At Mermaids Dive Centre our team of professionally trained PADI Instructors have a wealth of experience in teaching children and safety is our number one priority. If you are thinking about diving in Pattaya, why not bring your children too? If you are not yet certified but would like to learn to dive in Thailand as a family, Pattaya has excellent diving conditions for beginners of all ages.
At What Age Can Children Start Diving?
Your little ones can try diving from age 8 years old upwards.
8-10 Year Olds:
For 8 – 10 year olds we offer the PADI Bubblemaker program in Pattaya. The Bubblemaker is a safe and fun introduction to scuba diving, specifically designed for this age range. The PADI Bubblemaker is not a certification course but they’ll experience real scuba diving, breathing underwater, dive from our boats and see a range of Pattaya’s marine life. Highlights of our PADI Bubblemaker program in Pattaya include:
- Experience scuba diving under the direct care and supervision of a PADI Professional Dive Instructor.
- Take first breaths underwater in water shallower than 2 metres/6 feet.
- Learn about and use scuba diving equipment made for children – not adults.
- Have lots of fun.
Over 10 Years Old:
- One Day “PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience”
For children who are aged over 10 years old we offer a one day introduction to diving which includes 2 dives in the ocean from one of our boats. The PADI Discover Scuba Diving Experience is for all ages (including adults) so if you’d like to try diving in Pattaya together as a family, this is the program for you. You’ll share a wonderful experience together and take home memories which will last a life time. Highlights of the PADI Discover Scuba Diving in Pattaya experience include:
- Safety briefing and introduction to diving theoryTaking your first breaths underwater.
- Learn key scuba diving skills.
- Make 2 dives in the ocean and discover Thailand’s incredible marine environment.
- Create memories, have fun and enjoy Pattaya underwater.
PADI Open Water Diver Certification Course
This is the first certification level for Scuba Divers. The course takes 3 – 4 days and includes theory, confined water training and ocean dives. The PADI Open Water Diver course is the same for adults as it is for children so if you are not yet a diver you can learn to dive in Pattaya too and get certified together. The Open Water Diver Course is a lot of fun and not only teaches diving but it also helps children to develop team building skills, communication skills, it’s a lot of fun and a great way of uniting families with a common goal and interest – you’ll be able to enjoy a lifetime of incredible diving adventures together!
The depth limits and restrictions after certification depend upon the age of your children and are explained below:
- Divers aged 13 years old and upward can choose the PADI E Learning Option and then complete the course in 3 days instead of 4.
To ensure that young divers don’t exceed their limits, the PADI Junior Open Water certification comes with some conditions.
- Divers 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or a certified parent and dives cannot exceed 12 meters/40 feet.
- Divers 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult and dives cannot exceed 18 meters/60 feet.
12 years and older
After receiving a Junior Open Water certification, young divers (12 and older) may continue to increase their experience and certification levels (see list below). In these courses, dives may reach a max depth of 21 meters / 70 feet.
- Junior Advanced Open Water: Ages 12-14
- Junior Rescue: Ages 12-14
- Junior Master Scuba Diver: Ages 12-14
Are your children studying at an international school in Thailand? Did you know that we offer special rates for learning to dive in Pattaya and fun diving in Pattaya for Thailand international school students?
For more information, to make a reservation or enquiry, contact us today and we’ll get right back to you.
We look forward to diving in Pattaya with you soon!